Tuesday, January 10, 2012

need to want less



The urge to buy is strong in this one. I have the full virtual shopping carts and dog-eared catalog pages to prove it. Usually these rituals are enough to squelch my desire to spend, and I stop there. I've tried to be wise with what money I have, although after rebounding from a long stretch of unemployment I did buy myself a few small treats.

So while I'm proud of my initial resolve to refrain from shopping, it's when I give in that things tend to go off track quickly. I (for better or worse) have no credit cards so when it comes to spending I am thankfully bound to a limited budget. But damnit if I'm not completely transfixed and drawn in to the latest and greatest, therefore am terrible at waiting for a deal and also lack the patience to hunt for a bargain. What's so wrong with last year's model of this, or the clothes that my eyes have seen on the rack for months, or the generic brand of that? What is it about New that gives me tunnel vision? And why does being lazy come with such a high price tag? Seems like I should completely stay away until I can figure out how to pay the right way.

4 comments:

Fern said...

Bravo to you for not having a credit card. You're already doing better than most of America.

erin said...

there are definitely times when it would have been handy, but i've managed ok so far without ever having one.

Unknown said...

Hey they! I love all of your creations. I stumbled across them when I was googling my own name one day! Hahaa just wondering what your middle name is? It'd be crazy if it was the same :P

erin said...

Hey thanks Erin! My middle name is Elizabeth. What's the verdict... same or no?