Sunday, July 15, 2007

masterview

As if I needed more things to collect... I have become reacquainted with the View Master. As a collector of nonsense I have also skillfully learned to justify certain purchases. In this case, heck it's cheap and unobtrusive so why not.

I spent a few hours (yes hours) on ebay and bought about 15 reels and a viewer. Then for my birthday my friend John got me a truly badass older model. I love my friends because they are wonderful enablers (and have good taste).

Above is an image from an "LBJ Country" reel. This is the only reel that doesn't list a copyright but I suspect it was from the 50's. What's especially cool about this one is that Barton Springs is shown, as well the now defunct "amusement" park Aquarena Springs in San Marcos. Check out some more choice pictures (early John Travolta, Captain Kangaroo, performing elephants...) here. More surely to come soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you want to get into seed trading, let me know. I can give you a start. Can't help you with falconry, though. Sorry.