Wednesday, April 15, 2009

birthday fun pt. 1


As I mentioned the other day (in my downer of a post) John and I went to Fredericksburg for his birthday. In case anyone doesn't know Fredericksburg is about an hour and half west of Austin (maybe a bit longer when you're me and don't pay attention to the road you're on). It's a small town with German roots, beautiful old buildings, lots of charm and also on occasion many tourists. Luckily we went during the middle of the week and I'm guessing a not so popular time of year.

I don't want to go and on about our adventures but I will say we sampled some good beer and delicious food, celebrated at a bar where we were the only patrons, stayed at a gorgeous winery, and did some shopping at a fabulous dime store. I will be the first to admit that I was strangely excited about the latter. To highlight, I found two hairnets that look like they were made in the 50's (you have to see them to even remotely appreciate... thanks again John for buying me a couple), heard a man in a horse shirt excitedly ask where the cat crossing signs were, and smelled the worst soap of my life (want to scrub up with eau de burning rubber).

If you ever find yourself in the area make sure you check out Rustlin Rob's which has the best array of condiments/sauces/dressings you will ever find (and you can sample each and every one of them).

No comments: